Spring, In Name Only
Spring! It’s the first day of spring! Hooray!!
Um, I think someone forgot to inform Mother Nature. There are so many unhappy people around here. There’s even a Wanted poster for poor Punxsutawney Phil’s alleged fraud! So sad…
I’m trying to keep positive. The sun is shining so beautifully! Granted it is only 2 degrees, so sunbathing outdoors is not a good idea. Laying on the living room floor will work though.
One year my son was so tired of the winter that he put on a t-shirt and shorts, poured himself a huge glass of iced cold juice, opened the curtains really wide, and laid in the sun on the living room floor. He was happy and I have a good picture to bribe him with in the future.
Anyway, I figured it might be a good idea to make a list of positive reasons for having a long snowy winter, now spring. So here it is:
1. No mosquitoes. That’s a big plus here as they grow to the size of small hummingbirds.
2. No tornadoes. We usually have tornado season starting around April, accompanying the warmer air and the rain.
3. Snow covers up all the ugly stuff and looks really pretty.
4. No weeds to pull! I hate to pull weeds. I do not have a green thumb. My daughter thinks I am a mass murderer of plants.
5. Curling up with a good book and a hot cup of coffee is so cozy on a cold day.
6. You don’t have to worry about your food spoiling if your groceries sit in the car for a while.
7. Kids love playing in the snow.
Ok, I give up. I am totally grasping at straws here. The kids are sick of it, adults are getting grumpy, and even the dog looks out the door and then back up at me with a, “Are you serious?” expression on her face.
The thing is, Minnesotans really do love winter. It’s beautiful, its peaceful, there’s ice fishing and all of the other fun winter sports. People scrape the snow off of their cars and snowplow their drives with good-natured grins and waves to the passing neighbors.
But it is spring now. Someone, send Mother Nature the memo.